(ABILENE, Texas – Oct.18, 2022) – McMurry is planning for a big week as students prepare for homecoming, and the University welcomes back more than 360 alums for the 2022 Centennial Homecoming Celebration. The campus will be a buzz beginning Fri., October 21, with activities for students, alumni, and the community. Key activities, including the Celebrating Together Festival, launched in 2021, the bonfire, and Lawn Jam Concert, will be happening in Wah Wahtaysee Park at the corner of Sayles and 14th.
Fri., October 21 Activities:
- Opening Ceremony, October 21 at 2:30 p.m. in Wah Wahtaysee Park.
- The Celebrating Together Festival is back from 5 to 8 p.m. in Wah Wahtaysee Park. McMurry will hold festival featuring local food trucks, vendors, crafts, and games.
- Homecoming Coronation, bonfire, and Lawn Jam Concert begin at 8 p.m. in Wah Wahtaysee Park.
Sat., October 22 Activities:
- The annual Run For Life – Kristin Mitchell Memorial Run is Sat. Oct. 22 at 9 a.m. in the Wilford Moore Stadium.
- Students and alums will meet behind Old Main at 10 a.m. and parade through campus for the Celebration Procession Walking Parade ending at the tailgate.
- Tailgating begins at 11 a.m. behind the Jay-Rollins Library.
- Homecoming football game will kick off at 1 p.m. in Wilford Moore Stadium when the McMurry War Hawks take on Texas Lutheran University.
- McMurry will honor those who passed at the Final Ala Cumba at 5:30 p.m. at the Sacred Wind statue in the Quad.
- Milestone Class Reunions will reunite alums for dinner and an all-alumni party at the Abilene Country Club.
“We are excited to have so many alumni back on campus for Homecoming,” McMurry University President Dr. Sandra S. Harper said. “Our Centennial year is about honoring our past and present, as the university looks to the future, and Homecoming is a great way to celebrate our traditions and community.”
McMurry is planning many events throughout the weekend including showing the Centennial Museum Exhibit, a Homecoming Art Through the Decades exhibit, a Friends of the Library Lecture series featuring former McMurry professor Dr. Pug Parris, and performances of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast by the McMurry Theatre Department. Tickets are still available at mcm.edu/department/theatre.
The full Homecoming schedule is available at mcm.edu/homecoming.
Weather contingencies and registration links may also be found at mcm.edu/homecoming.